Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My love/hate relationship with English classes

In tenth grade, I had a teacher that didn’t like teaching high school students.  I watched her scream in student’s faces and throw things across the room.  Unfortunately, my experience with her was slowly spiraling downwards and it reached an ultimate low when she accused me of plagiarism.  I had no interest in the book we read so my work was not my best, but I’d always been good at writing papers.  When she handed back our papers, she could not believe that it was my own work and since then I’ve tended to strongly dislike English classes. 

Word Count: 98


Oddly enough, my best experience was when taking English 100 here at UMBC.  Professor Dunnigan was an odd man but he knew how to get the students involved in our discussions, and the topics for our papers were interesting to analyze and write about.  I’ve never liked being told what to read, but the books we were expected to read were just as interesting as the lectures we had to sit through.  One class with Professor Dunnigan changed the way my entire high school career had shaped my hatred for English classes and the books we were forced to read.

Word Count: 100

No comments:

Post a Comment