Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Where words fail, music speaks" - Hans Christian Andersen


Text is something comprised of a series of marks or sounds inscribed or arranged on some surface that creates a meaning for a specific group, person or audience.  Something that makes no sense to you could make perfect sense to someone else.  When I think of reading, I don’t just think of books or poetry, I think of another form of literature, lyrics.  Music has been a huge staple in my life since a young age, and even though I only thought it was catchy at age 13, those lyrics still showed some emotion.  There are lyrics for every type of emotion, whatever mood I’m feeling, I have something I can listen to that will give me a solace from life; Something Corporate when I’m feeling down, Ke$ha when I want to dance, and that random playlist when I’m mad at the world.  While using your imagination is generally a good thing, for me it gives a false sense of reality.  Music allows for that creativity without the torment of it never coming true, if you listen to the right music that is.  When you go to a concert, you don’t have to imagine the emotion, or create your own world.  You’re thrown into the best possible experience you could ask for, the writer singing his words to you while putting on the best show possible.  Music has given me the chance to make new friends and create many new memories in my life, something books haven’t given me.

WC: 249

2 comments:

  1. Music is definitely a huge part of my life as well. It's great to see you have a big range in taste, more music listeners should broaden their horizons. There is always the perfect music for any mood that you're in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm THAT person who jumps up and down on her bed whenever a good/upbeat song comes on and I'm also THAT person who throws pillows at her wall when she's pissed and has some emo-punk song on. When it comes to emotions and music, I'm definitely an extremist haha. It's great that you can turn to music as well!

    ReplyDelete